Sunday, July 25, 2010

Autumnal airs & graces

So, as the year unfolded, the main focus in my garden has been to plant and grow seeds and bulbs.... I began early by potting potato bulbs that came in the available bulb like formations, as well as a few full potatoes (left to sit just a wee bit longer in a warm cupboard - until the stems became visible.) Then, using fairly large pot containers, I potted everything over the early summer months and left them out in the elements, thankfully, with just small amounts of rain to assist while I of course, patiently waited for the stems to protrude through the soil....

I must admit, It has been a learning experience for me all along, and I waited fairly late to extend my burgeoning interest - I know!

Now, as late-July beckons, I’m delighted to tell you there is much more planted in my garden. With the help of specialised garden centre supplies, I am even able to keep a pet rabbit (of all creatures) in the same space believe it or not. With just a simple elevated greenhouse unit and accompanying shelving space, I can tend to all seeds and stems - well away from the gnashing of “Julie” the bunny. And since beginning, I now have potatoes (of course) carrots, lettuce, a strawberry plant and a tomato plant – as well as some flowering seeds - which are a little slow this year :-( Otherwise, I am ultimately proud of every other fact.

Secondly, and definitely a little more ambitious for me, there has been an old dustbin outside gathering dust in the garden for some time, and in my brilliance, I decided to use it to create a COMPOST HEAP! Yes I said it - my very own compost! I’m hoping will be ready perhaps sometime next year.... I have been equally as surprised and gladdened to learn about the sheer magnificent volume of items which can be used to make compost; and I promise in a later post, I will tell you exactly what I used to create my very own compost and how well it worked.

Right now I know it is a waiting game and I did leave the Carrot seeds until now (late-July) to which I can only hope and send good vibes to each and every one of them that they'll begin to stem, so I can re-pot them in “Grow Bags” and leave them to be checked again in the Autumn - more about “Grow Bags” later also.

In the meantime I’m using a weekly feed for all plants and some Tomorite especially for the Tomato plant. While the tomato plant loves full sunlight, it tends to dry up a lot quicker then the rest and so it needs careful attention :-) All plants are being watered on a daily basis with a watering can. It’s gentle and the way I’m going...for this season

Until next time – keep yourself and your plants happy!

Mike

2 comments:

  1. Wow Mike, you are talented!!! besides being a good with words, now i can see you are good with plants. wish all the best with this and am looking forward for more of this, probably you will make love gardening too :)

    Nadia,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Nadia, that is very kind of you. I'm looking forward to writing about my garden and would be delighted if you might follow... much Kindness, Mike

    ReplyDelete

Potato

Potato

tomatoes

tomatoes

Strawberry

Strawberry